Chapter 9: Prohibition and the WPA
In January 1927 several women from Red Cliff petitioned for the removal of “two filthy booze joints opened on Highway 13 north of Bayfield”. One of these Joints was probably the Outpost located at what is now the entrance for Roy’s Point Road.
Postcard of Bayfield City Dock , pavilion, and Rittenhouse Ave from end of City Dock, ca 1935. Photo courtesy of the Bayfield Heritage Association. Photo ID: 1980.51.23
Click image to enlarge.
One of the projects that they considered was a nine-hole golf course and recreational facility to be built at Roy’s Point on the 100 acres of land that the city owned following a tax forfeiture. The project was to include a club house to be built on the lake shore “near a splendid, sand bathing beach” which offered “an excellent landing spot for boats”. The property had 25 acres of meadow so an additional 22 acres was going to be cleared for fairways. The project may not have been accepted by the WPA due to the potential title issues following the town’s acquisition of the Roy’s Point property by tax forfeiture.
While the proposed golf course was never built under the WPA program, the Bayfield businessmen never dropped the idea. In 1939 the township brought a quiet title action against the various entities with a potential interest in the land at Roy’s Point and obtained a default judgment declaring the town to be the owner in fee simple absolute. In 1940 it was announced that the city had title to the land and that tentative plans were to convert the property into a golf course and an airplane landing field. These plans were ultimately abandoned.
The Brickyard Creek History Chronicles are being shared with you by Brickyard Creek community member, Mary E. Carlson.
She explains, “As we look out at Buffalo Bay and Basswood Island, we can’t help but think of those who came before us to this beautiful place.”
She started her historical quest in 2007 and is sharing her finds in this ten-part series below. Her book, On the Streets of Bayfield, is available at the Bayfield Heritage Center