The following rental policy and occupancy limits were placed in effect May 2017.
Rental Policy Resolution
Whereas Brickyard Creek is a residential environmental community on the shores of Lake Superior dedicated to active stewardship and tranquility;
Whereas renting in Brickyard Creek is recognized as a positive and constructive community feature, supporting the ability of association members to afford the expense of buying and owning a cabin, to efficiently utilize cabins when they are vacant and to allow visitors to experience and discover Brickyard Creek as a vacation resource and potential home;
Whereas The Brickyard Creek Association has a legal authority and delegated responsibility to ensure that rental rights and expectations are balanced with those of the majority residential and environmental community members who do not rent their cabins as a whole;
Whereas rental visitors to Brickyard Creek represent a certain impact on community and common resources, including those involving traffic, roads, wells, trails, beaches and peace and sometimes result in occasional violations of rules. (This includes service vehicles related to septic, housekeeping management and numbers of visitors per cabin rental);
Whereas day-to-day rental management of cabins requires direct oversight and the capacity for an immediate response to visitor needs, emergencies and violations. Local professional rental management agencies are best able to provide this service. Cabin owners who rent their cabins working through their agencies are fundamentally responsible for ensuring this service, freeing residential neighbors and the Association manager from monitoring, reporting and enforcing expectations and visitor needs;
Whereas appropriately set occupancy limits benefit both the community as a whole and individual units in rental; and,
Whereas an increasing number of year-round and summer-long residents reside at Brickyard Creek thus becoming a necessary factor in balancing rental policy and residential imperatives.
Therefore, be it Resolved, that the Brickyard Creek Association Board of Directors:
- All BYC Units that are in rental shall have a Brickyard Creek Board of Director’s approved, local professional rental (management agent under contract. If a local professional management rental agent”, such as the Winfield Inn, is not currently identified one should be identified as soon as possible but no later than November 1, 2017. The use of Airbnb, Vacation Rental by Owner or similar on-line rental brokers will not be permitted after November 1, 2017.
The local professional management agent must be doing business with in 10-mile radius of Brickyard Creek. The agent is responsible for day-to-day management oversight of the unit in rental, including the ability to respond in a timely manner to the needs of the client/owner, renter, and resident neighbor.
The name and telephone number(s) of the current local agent shall be posted on the BYC website and be distributed to all BYC association members annually at the beginning of each rental season along with instructions to call the designated local agent for issues or concerns involving a specific rental unit or their associated visitors. Failure of the local rental agent to respond in a timely or satisfactory manner should be reported to the Board of Directors.
- Establish occupancy limits for each unit that conform with to Wisconsin State Statutes and the Bayfield County Department of Health Requirements. The occupancy limits will also be based on the size and floor plan of each rental unit.
- A minimum two-night stay will be required for all rental units. Rental agents will be instructed that under no circumstances should less than two-night stays be booked.
- The BYC Rental Rules be prominently displayed in all rental units. A copy of the rental rules should be sent to a renter when they book the unit and a copy must be provided when they register.
- The short form of the BYC Rental Rules must be signed by all renters. A copy must be retained by the renter and the rental agency for the unit in rental.
- All rental units must carry a $1 million dollars of liability insurance. This must be on file within the BYC Board no later than July 1st annually.
Brickyard Creek Association Board of Directors Adopted – 5/13/2017
An adult is considered 18 years of age and older. A child is 17 years of age and younger.
- Aspen – studio, one bath – 2 people
- Taiga – one bedroom, one bath – 4 people (max. 2 adults + 2 children)
- Woodland – two bedrooms, two baths – 5 people (max. 4 adults + 1 child)
- Meadow – two bedrooms, two baths – 6 people (max. 4 adults + 2 children)
- Expanded Meadow – three bedrooms, two baths – 8 people (max. 6 adults + 2 children)
- Creekside A – three bedrooms, three baths – 8 people (max. 6 adults + 2 children)
- Creekside B – two bedrooms, two baths – 5 people (max. 4 adults +1 child)
Brickyard Creek Associations Board of Directors – Adopted 5/13/2017
Seasonal Cottage Rental Application
EFFECTIVE January 2020 - Town of Bayfield Short-Term Rental Ordinance
The following ordinance will go into effect in January of 2020. Please plan ahead for this change: